Infrastructure Engineer (Linux Focused)
Bristol IT Company is a well established IT solutions provider with head offices in the centre of Bristol. Our solutions cover multiple technologies but there’s a particular growth in popularity for solutions that include Linux servers. We’re therefore looking for an experienced and self motivated IT infrastructure engineer with a focus on Linux and related technologies.
- Set up of new servers, sites and solutions for internal teams
- Help CTO implement infrastructure improvements to ensure efficiency/modern working
- Help support company server infrastructure
- Help to design and implement technical solutions to meet customer requirements
- Provide support to customers (and colleagues) on solutions provided
- Troubleshoot failures/faults and ensure that corrective action is taken
- Linux Experience
- Worked with Linux in a corporate environment
- Considerable experience with Linux distributions
- Installing, configuring and maintaining services such as Apache, MySQL, nginx
- BASH scripting (and/or alternatives)
- Recovering from faults & reading/analysing logs to find failures
- Configuring automated patching & CRONTAB tasks
- Ansible or other automation platform
- Cloud Hosting Experience
- Website maintenance including knowledge of WordPress (and other CMSs)
- Basic use of Source Control (GIT) or willingness to learn
- Desire to learn DevOps tools and methodologies such as: Kubernetes, Docker, CI/CD
- Excellent general troubleshooting skills – linking how one failure may cause another failure and therefore being able to fix the root cause
- Understanding of DNS on the public internet
- 3+ years of industry experience
- Excellent communication skills with both clients and team members
- Desire for self improvement and learning in order to further career
Additional skills (advantageous but not essential)
While the primary focus of this role will be Linux, there may be times when the applicant is expected to assist with Windows based servers. Having skills in these areas would be extremely advantageous over other candidates.
- Ingress, Azure Redis, Azure SQL Server, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Web Apps, Azure Virtual Network, Storage accounts, Load Balancer, Container Registry, Reserved instances.
- EBS, Amazon RDS, EC2 Instances, Amazon VPC, Elastic IP, Load Balancers
- Windows Server configuration
- IIS from older 6.0 version through to the latest 10.0
- Microsoft SQL Server from 2008 through 2019
- Project Management Experience
- Desire to become technical expert in multiple fields
- Configuration management tools, such at Puppet
- Server load balancing
- Networking Skills including firewalls, switches, VLANs, Routing
- Virtualisation technologies, such as VMWare
- GitLab Configuration and Usage
- Including use of CI/CD methods
- Container registry
- Server maintenance
As part of the team
- Competitive salary (dependent on experience)
- 20 days’ holiday plus public holidays, with Christmas and your birthday off.
- Private pension scheme with Royal London Mutual
- A company backing you who want to see you grow in your career.
- Friendly, relaxed office environment
- Regular social events
- Onsite Gym and Bicycle Parking
- Friday afternoon beer o’clock!
Engineers who think they have some or all of the above skills with experience in a relevant environment are invited to apply for this post. Salary is between £28,000 and £40,000, and will be related to skills and experience.
Strictly no recruiters/agencies